Facebook

Join us on FaceBook where I frequently post relevant links and articles.

Monday, November 10, 2014

Ask "What if?" and Wonder at the Answer.

What if it were true? This is what I asked myself some years ago, while reading a book called "The Gnosis and the Law." I'm sure we've all had it happen to us: We're reading some article or book and all the talk about energy levels, multiple dimensions, angles, spirits, energy flow, auras, and on and on, just make your head spin. All you can think is "What the ....? This all sounds like gobbledygook!"  And you're right, it is all very confusing and not necessarily accurate. Oops, did I just say that? Well, I did. I have, by no means, waded through all the New Age, (spiritual?) literature, but I am convinced that some of it is just plain wrong, or, at least, misleading.

I don't mean the people are necessarily lying or stupid, but a lot of bad information has been passed around for years and it just gets repeated over and over as people come across it and think it's something new. I don't know if some of it was ever true, but I am perfectly comfortable saying that a majority of the bad content probably came from misunderstanding, bad translations, confusions and old stories conflated with new information. I see it in my own studies, where one misunderstanding can lead me down a path where things just get weird.

For instance, I read a lot about vibrations and vibrational levels, and that can be very confusing for someone with a background in computer science. I know how vibrations behave in the physical world and I know how "vibrations" i.e. frequency behaves in the electromagnetic spectrum, but in metaphysics, "vibrations" is neither of these. The thing is, when you are talking metaphysics, "vibration" is an analogy, not a description. So you can't really compare metaphysical "vibrations" to physical "vibrations," they're not the same at all. If you read magazines like Scientific American, you've come across terms like Up, Down, Color, Charm, Top and Bottom, that are used to describe some of the characteristics of a fundamental particle, the Quark. That doesn't mean that quarks are charming or that they come in different colors, they are just handy names for concepts that, otherwise, would have no names. Likewise, when we're talking about things that happen between lives or outside the range of normal perceptions, we have to make up words or reuse existing words in a new way. Just try not to take some of these things too literally, the terms are poor representations of the actual concepts. Soon, when science will takes off it's collective blinders and starts acknowledging these phenomena, new terms and descriptions will be invented to fill this gap.

I came to this conclusion when I chose to consider that, perhaps, what I was reading wasn't total hogwash or religious babbling, but, maybe, some actual truth that I just didn't understand. Disguised by misleading terms and enmeshed in tangles of confusion added by people re-interperprating things they didn't understand. In Dolores's book "Beyond Abductions," she repeatedly runs up against this problem: How would an alien being express advanced concepts using a language that doesn't have the words for it. That's not even the worst of it. When channeling, a being only has access to the vocabulary of the person doing the channeling. If the person has only a high school education, that's all they get to work with.

To my knowledge, no PhDs have ever channeled, which means that answering questions about physics, medicine, or technology has to be done without either the technical vocabulary nor the conceptual framework needed to translate the foreign concepts into something our science can grasp. So it's really no surprise that scientists look at the information supplied by channelers as useless. It would be like building a nuclear reactor using only the description in a sixth-grade textbook.

The only solution I've come up with, is to read a lot. I mean a lot! And cross check what you read to see what makes the most sense to you. Some things, like hollow earth, I just throw away as myth, as they contradict obvious facts you can check with Google Earth. Other things, like consciousness being non-local, psychic abilities and reincarnation are fairly well established, scientifically, despite the number of extremely vocal opponents. In the middle, in that gray area between fact and myth, there is a huge body of "stuff" that I have to sort through. If I can work out some working knowledge of how to make a thing work, no matter how imperfect, I accept it as "real." Other stuff I leave on the shelf for now. My body of has been steadily growing and my understanding expanding, but only because I allow myself to try new things, to ask "What if?" and wonder at the answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment